Supporting the research and animal care mission of the Wisconsin National Primate Research Center (WNPRC) is the Facilities Management and Shop Services. This unit is responsible for providing a compliant, secure and safe environment for all human and nonhuman occupants. Acting as lead liaison between the WNPRC and the University of Wisconsin-Madison Physical Plant, the Facilities and Shop Services Unit coordinates and implements all repairs, system upgrades, and remodeling projects. The unit continues to provide 24/7 monitoring of the major operational systems including heating, ventilation and cooling (HVAC), electrical, plumbing, and freezer controls.
Furthermore, the unit’s unique role as an instrument maker shop involves bridging the gap between new hypotheses and scientific achievement by providing innovative and comprehensive ideas and designs used for the fabrication of unique instruments. These prototype devices are used for research, specialized husbandry, and behavioral enrichment. The group assists in the purchasing and installation of scientific equipment, and provides troubleshooting, repair, and requested modifications to existing equipment.
- Bruce Pape, Facilities and Shop Supervisor
- Phone: (608) 263-3521
- E-mail Bruce Pape
Goals and Services
- Monitoring and maintaining all aspects of the multiple WNRPC facilities, including the expansion of the building automation network (BAN) functions and coordination of system upgrades.
- Participating in the planning and execution of all facility renovation and construction initiatives at the WNPRC, as well as implementing practical and cost saving measures to best suit project scope.
- Engineering and fabricating innovative research and animal husbandry equipment, supporting research, colony management and nonhuman primate behavioral enrichment.
- Prioritizing and coordinating facility and equipment repairs while minimizing the interruption of scientific studies.
- Collaborating with the Compliance and Training Unit and the Colony Management Unit to ensure that facility and husbandry operations meet or exceed regulatory guidelines.
|Bruce Pape||Facilities and Shop Supervisor||(608) 263-3521||Send email to Bruce Pape|
|Justin Schmidt||Instrument Maker – Journey||(608) 263-3521||Send email to Justin Schmidt|
|Theodore Jones||Mechanician-Entry||(608) 263-3521||Send email to Ted Jones|