The WNPRC Virology Services Unit provides expert support to investigators performing virological research in nonhuman primates. Our services include highly sensitive molecular diagnostics, production and titration of virus stocks suitable for in-vitro and/or in-vivo studies, generation of custom virus mutants by reverse genetics, virus isolation and more.
Our clients include investigators studying the nonhuman primate AIDS viruses simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) and simian-human immunodeficiency virus (SHIV), influenza, Zika virus and dengue, among other viruses.
- Detection of viral RNA by ultrasensitive quantitative RT-PCR (QRT-PCR). Viral targets include
- Simultaneous quantification of wild-type SIV and nef deletion mutants
- Influenza viruses
- Zika virus
- Dengue virus
- Yellow fever virus 17D
- Simian arteriviruses
- Production of characterized virus stocks:
- Viruses can be purchased from existing stocks on a per-vial basis. We can also produce large-scale stocks to order. Please contact Virology Services Unit Head Thomas Friedrich, Ph.D. or email@example.com for more information.
- Download information about a Zika virus stock for Puerto Rican isolate PRVABC59 (pdf) used in Zika virus studies at WNPRC.
- Production of custom SIV mutants
- Isolation of nonhuman primate viruses in tissue culture
- Assays to measure the latent reservoir of SIV:
- Quantitative viral outgrowth assay (download our QVOA white paper.pdf)
- Quantification of cell-associated SIV DNA by QPCR
Return to WNPRC Research Services